Forget dusty bottles of wine and shrink-wrapped selection boxes – the best way to really treat somebody special is to give them an amazing experience. From spa days and theme park tickets to the chance to be a zookeeper for the day, there are plenty of fantastic options out there. Here’s a pick of the best.
1. Floating on air: Some of the most enthralling experiences on offer involve taking to the air. Whether you want to give a loved one the chance to fly in a fighter plane, see the country by helicopter or float over stunning scenery on a hot air balloon, there’s the right gift for you. Flying high needn’t cost a fortune either – look for out of season or off-peak experiences to save money.
2. A year of fun: Don’t limit your gift to a one-off experience. With an annual pass you can give somebody the chance to enjoy as many days out as they want over the course of a year. There are passes to suit all tastes, including membership with the National Trust or English Heritage, season theme park tickets and twelve-month unlimited cinema vouchers.
3. The way to a man’s heart…: Is through his stomach, or so they say – and if that’s really the case then it’s never been easier to buy yourself everlasting love. Dinner at a great restaurant makes the perfect gift, but if that seems too forward then why not send a hamper? many companies do a great range of hampers for all occasions, full of delicious treats that will get the taste buds tingling like anything.
4. Behind the wheel: If you know somebody who fancies themselves as a bit of a racing car driver, then why not give them the chance to try it for real? The prospect of speeding round a famous course like Brands Hatch will appeal to any man’s inner speed merchant. For those who prefer life in the slow lane, a day of horse riding could be an equally thrilling prospect.
5. Happy holidays: There’s really no experience that compares to a full-blown holiday. If you’re keen to spoil somebody special, think about whisking them off on a no-expenses-spared weekend to Paris or New York. For a cheaper option, look slightly closer to home: a rural bed and breakfast or one night in a night’s camping on the beach is a gift that they’ll remember for a lifetime.