When it comes to expressing affection, sometimes words just aren’t enough. If you want to spoil the socks off your loved one and tell them how much you care at the same time, surprise them with one of these classic romantic gifts.
1. Flowers: Lovers have been sending flowers to signify their intentions for centuries - so why stop now? There’s nothing more romantic than a bouquet of red roses topped with a personal message; and with the advent of online ordering it’s never been easier to pick out the perfect blooms for your other half. Various flower companies do next day delivery on a great range of bouquets, taking the hassle out of the whole experience.
2. Jewellery: A wedding ring needn’t be the first bit of bling you buy for your loved one. For a birthday, anniversary or just a spontaneous treat, surprise them with a necklace, a bracelet of even a pair of cufflinks that you think they’ll like. The great thing about jewellery is that it makes a fantastic keepsake – and you can guarantee that they’ll think of you whenever they wear it.
3. A special occasion: A recent study revealed that, despite the rise of consumer society, most people still value experiences over material things. Whether it’s a hot air balloon ride, a chance to drive a racing car round Brands Hatch or a dinner for two in a snazzy restaurant, whisking your other half off on a fantastic adventure is a sure fire route direct to their heart. Cater to their tastes, resist the urge to put your own preferences first, and you won’t go far wrong.
4. A holiday: If you’re feeling flush then a romantic holiday is the perfect way to surprise a lucky lover. Traditional locations include Paris, Prague and Venice; but the most breathtaking breaks can also be the most unusual. An impromptu skiing weekend, camping in the Scottish Highlands or a wine tasting trip in the South of France are all alternative ways of making them see how much you care.
5. A letter: It may not be the most extravagant of gifts, but a well-composed letter still says ‘romance’ like nothing else. Since the advent of email, it’s rare for most people to receive letters that aren’t either bills or junk mail. Make your partner’s day by sending them a poem, a song, or a simple message of love.